Friday, July 07, 2006

LAZY IN KABUL


And there I was, in the Middle East. While some similarities exist from Iraq to Afghanistan, they are distinct cultures and societies. The Iraqi people had more modern infrastructure, while the Afghans live in the Stone Age and are more comfortable with it than someone in Iraq. For some strange reason the women work the fields around North Baghdad and the men just sit around and drink chai.

Explosions in my sleep are not new sounds, just like the taste of blood from a sucker punch is as familiar as a Bloody Mary at Sunday brunch. I’ve been very lucky in my travels and reckless endeavors. I arrived in Kabul with $40 and a vindictive will to survive. My exit from this country comes and goes, in plans within plans, missions, drunken death wishes and sordid affairs of an extreme nature.

I am tired of talking to people for the moment. I had so many lives pass through my ears and out my fingers in June. More than usual. I haven’t been out much since the 4th of July. Well, I haven’t been out at all. I got out my Salwar Kamish I purchased in Kandahar and since I haven’t shaved, look reasonably Afghan. I haven’t lost the little bit of Dari I know.

I’ve been into http://youtube.com and got one of my videos up there. I want to put up some stuff from the Middle East and New Orleans. It’s just a pain in the ass to upload from here.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=Panzwayi

That is all I have up for now. Some Burning Man stuff and I made a new video about the Romanians based on this article I wrote.

http://nuvo.net/article.phptitle=romanian_soldiers_hold_the_fort_in_kandahar&PHPSESSID=999b2d7d99c58c36f97f097c9c48a436

I am still toying with the TRIANGLE OF DEATH. I am talking to some people there and seeing if it really is THE triangle, or just some other part of sand covered in blood and body parts.

I am staying with some friends. They have wireless and beer, so I like it. I have all my stuff here, consolidated. I didn’t loose stuff during the riots, when I moved. We got a lot of guns here. Ha ha ha and an empty swimming pool. I have a nice room, bigger even than my place at Taji in the Tomahawk village, with a private bathroom.

They have drains on the floor and showers right out of the wall. No shower enclosure or bathtub, in my bathroom.

Karzai is in the New York Times today

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/world/international-afghanistan-japan.html

Violence in Afghanistan is the worst it has been since the Taliban were ousted in 2001, and hundreds of people have been killed in recent weeks.

``I am concerned about the rise of violence in Afghanistan, the Afghan people are concerned about the rise of violence in Afghanistan, and the international community is concerned about the rise of violence in Afghanistan,'' Karzai told a news conference in Tokyo on the last day of a four-day visit.

Tomorrow I am heading out for some errands. I’ll shot some video on the street if I get a chance and put it up on YOUTUBE.COM

I have tried to make some compressed videos but my power supply and battery are shot. I can get on the internet, but anything that requires a lot of power causes a crash in computer. It starts as the screen flashes back and forth from battery to power cord. My original cord took a shit before I left and I still haven’t been able to find a 15 volt 6 amp power cord. They just don’t have them around here. Will have to order some when I have money, some day. . .ha ha ha. The ghetto journalist. . . with my bag of hand-me-down technological artifacts. . .












Google





 











Web


nvnewswire.com


kenschaber.com









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home